Total Pageviews

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The Origins of my Discontent

You know I started this blog a while ago because I was reading the Washington Post Magazine and it seemed like Jayne Lytel had stolen my life, and therefore my potential blog--and I wanted to start my own before some other wannabe beat me to the punch.

Jayne Lytel is the Michaela Salahi meets Carrie Bradshaw of Blogging. She writes under the pseudonym of Ann Power, of Girl On The Edge. Being unemployed, or under employed with my ex under foot because we couldn't afford to separate, seemed like my life. Unfortunately (I think), the resemblance stops there. Let's just sum up Lytel with power points, shall we:
  • Successful wife and career woman has child diagnosed with Autism
  • Gives up career track to become successful Autism author and advocate
  • Along the way financial strain from special needs take it toll on her marriage and she divorces
  • Skies open and opportunity shines, she finds a wealthy man and returns to work.
  • Gods are bored, she loses job to recession and boyfriend dumps her by email.
A would be blogger is born. In the basement apartment with her husband and children upstairs, Lytel writes about the benefits of unemployment--cookies and cabernet in the afternoon. She keeps up her 53-year old appearance and size 2 wardrobe (the hell she is eating cookies and drinking cabernet!) with botox and frequent trips to the salon. She also joined millionairematcher.com and took a trip to Antigua, because it was about the cost of the therapy she should have gotten. All this, drum roll, drum roll, while collecting food stamps! Here is where our collective paths separate. Cause I can promise you the only places I get to cruise to are my two jobs, and one of them involves food so I get as many free meals as my size 6 can take. I'd be happy just to split the difference with her and call it a size 4, and as close as I currently get to botox is I got to work the other day and instead of a black Apple House shirt I found the one that has botox written in crystals, so I had to wear a stinky shirt someone brought back or left behind!

I love to write, and I appreciate every single one of the two of you that read this!!! I hope I get to keep writing long enough to find my niche, my voice and my stride! Deborah asked last week why I hadn't written anything new--it can usually be explained by 30 hours a week at Kohnen-Starkey and 29.5 hours a week at the Apple House of Linden. If either of you readers have the fast track to a wealthy man (one foot in the grave and the other one close behind is a plus), feel free to post that comment any where I might find it. Certainly, if either of you know where I can find one job to support myself in the absence of that wealthy man instead of the two I currently have, send it even faster. But I would be equally as tickled if you found a third person to read my ravings! And a special shout out to Ann Power and Jayne Lytel for creating the origins of what I jokingly refer to as the decade of my discontent.

No comments:

Post a Comment